A true Dutch classic that everybody loves!
6 small/medium leeks, white and light green part
2 russett potatoes, peeled and chopped in 1/4 in pieces
3 T butter
1 cup white wine (chardonnay)
4 1/2 - 5 c chicken broth (I use Better Than Boullion)
2 t dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 t + salt
black pepper to taste
- Trim ends of leeks, then slice lengthwise. Rinse them thoroughly to remove dirt. Slice crosswise into thin half moon strips.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat and then add leeks. Reduce heat to medium, stir occasionally and let leeks soften for 5-7 minutes.
- Add wine and let reduce for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, potatoes, thyme, bay leaves, salt, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a high simmer for 25 minutes. Add more salt and pepper to taste.